TGM3 GM requirements : Busted?

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Altimor, 19 May 2008.

1. Altimor

Altimor a.k.a. Ghett0

Get the promotional exam.

You have to get an internal grade of S9. (3100 G-Points during 0-999)

Get all section COOLs.

You must earn at least 340 G-Points in the staff roll.

Staff roll

Tetrises award 100 G-Points

Triples award 30 G-Points

Doubles award 20 G-Points

Singles award 10

2. Way to read the wiki, champ.

Just a refresher:

M-roll requirements:

Clear with all section cools and an internal grade of at least S7

single awards .1 grades

double awards .2 grades

triple awards .3 grades

tetris awards 1 grade

survival awards 1.6 grades

grade is rounded down

Qualify Master M and consistently perform grandmaster-worthy performances, then you will eventually get the Gm exam. Passing the Gm exam requires survival during the staff roll.

3. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

This much was known on the wiki. But do grade points drain during the M-roll like they do during the main game? The wiki doesn't seem to say it does.

4. Am I missing something?

5. There's no grade points, just grades. The grade system of the staff roll actually just uses this formula:

M-Roll Grade = (survival = 1.6) + (Tetrises * 0.6) + (lines * 0.1)

But on the wiki I put it into a table for readability's sake.

6. tepples

But how can you have one-tenth of a grade? The number 1/10 cannot be represented exactly in binary floating-point arithmetic, and if the program is using fixed-point with a common denominator of 100, that's equivalent to grade points.

7. Like I said, it's rounded down. Or more precisely, the grade is simply truncated to a whole number.

8. tepples

But if adding 0.1 for each line actually adds 0.0999999642 or some other number that's a "nice round number" to a binary computer, that might cause an inaccuracy after the grade is rounded down. Have you ever seen Superman III?

9. Which is why it's likely that it stores the number of accumulated fractions of a whole number, and then does one final (truncated) division at the end, either by 100, or more likely, by 256. It's relatively simple to get numbers close to what are known about the game as fractions of 256, as any Diablo 2 player should know...

Of course, taking 0.1 as 25/256 will cause an inaccuracy, but as there's no salami slicing effect with gravity, I doubt that any appears in the grade system either...

10. Poochy

Poochy Unregistered

Well, since all the M-roll scoring values are multiples of 0.1, I wouldn't be surprised if it just stored it as 10 times the number, then performed a truncating division by 10 at the end. So a Tetris would add 6 to your score, each regular line would add 1, and surviving would add 16. Then it divides the total by 10 at the very end.

I know of one game that stores the modified (post-bonus) odds of an item dropping as an integer from 0 to 1000 in calculations, because of equipment that yielded the odd multiple of +5% item drops or the even rarer 1%. So an item that normally drops 50% of the time (stored as 500) with a +5% drop bonus would drop 52.5% of the time, which would be stored as 525.

11. Altimor

Altimor a.k.a. Ghett0

Yes, they do.

12. Muf

Muf

No, to the best of our knowledge (the reverse engineer document), they don't. You can stop pretending to know things you don't now. Thanks.

13. Altimor

Altimor a.k.a. Ghett0

To the best of your knowledge. I spend hours studying each day, muf. >_>

14. Muf

Muf

Yet you know nothing about Ti that we don't already know. Again, you can stop pretending to know things you don't.

15. Ghetto, how can you possibly spend hours studying each day when you don't own the game, and the only English source of knowledge is the wiki, which is inconclusive in this regard.

16. Altimor

Altimor a.k.a. Ghett0

I study the videos, I study a lot of documents (And it's called translation, Rosti).

17. Post some of your studying and research then. Actual proof, rather than it just being the case because you say it is.

And unless you know Japanese, or have someone continually at hand who does, then any Japanese resources are near enough useless as far as technical data goes, because machine translations fail epicly at turning it into something useful.

18. Also, you're wrong, ghett0. There are no points in the credit roll, and there is no draining. It's all based on number of line clears and tetrises.

In other words, shut up.